Africa Decides: All the upcoming elections and votes
How to use the map: the basics
This African elections map shows you all the upcoming votes. Move around and click to find out more.
The colour tells you approximately when the election is:
- Red – This month
- Orange – Next month
- Yellow – In two months
- Green – Beyond that
The icon tells you who is up for election:
Want much more in-depth information about the elections?
The map just gives you the basic info. But you can get much more up-to-date and in-depth coverage if you sign up to our Insiders Newsletter:
- Information about the context and system behind every election.
- Analysis of the candidates, platforms, parties and significance of the vote, updated each week.
- The results and outcomes explained.
- Essential reading around the vote.
- The latest headlines from around the web.
For a taste of what to expect from our election coverage, check out this free preview from June 2018.
The Insiders Newsletter also includes succinct expert analysis and insights from a range of stories from across Africa each week. It costs as little as $8.33/month and helps fund African Arguments’ unique freely-accessible coverage.
Upcoming African elections: A list
Here are the upcoming elections in list form. The exact dates are liable to change. It includes links to relevant African Arguments articles.
- 6: Tunisia – Parliamentary
- 13: Tunisia – Presidential (run-off)
- 15: Mozambique – President, National Assembly, Local
- 23: Botswana – President and National Assembly
- 27(?): Namibia – President and National Assembly
- 12: Algeria – Presidential
- 28: Guinea – Legislative
Beyond* [being updated]
- Mauritius – Legislative (Dec 2019/Jan 2020)
- Comoros – Union Assembly (Jan 2020)
- Togo – President (Apr 2020)
- Egypt – House of Representatives (Apr-May 2020)
- Ethiopia – House of People’s Representatives & Regional State Councils (May 2020)
- Burundi – President (20 May 2020); National Assembly, Local (June 2020)
- Côte d’Ivoire – President (Oct 2020)
- Tanzania – President, National Assembly (Oct 2020)
- Somalia – House of the People (Oct 2020)
- Seychelles – President (Oct-Dec 2020)
- Burkina Faso – President, National Assembly (Nov 2020)
- Ghana – President, National Assembly (7 Dec 2020)
- Chad – Legislative, Local
- Somaliland – Legislative