Africa Elections: All the upcoming votes
Last updated: 13 October 2020
How to use the map: the basics
This Africa elections map shows you all the upcoming votes. Move around and click to find out more.
The colour tells you approximately when the election is:
- Red – This month
- Orange – Next month
- Yellow – In two months
- Green – Beyond that
The icon tells you who is up for election:
Want much more in-depth information about the elections?
The map just gives you the basic info. But you can get much more up-to-date and in-depth coverage if you sign up to our Insiders Newsletter:
- Information about the context and system behind every election.
- Analysis of the candidates, platforms, parties and significance of the vote, updated each week.
- The results and outcomes explained.
- Essential reading around the vote.
- The latest headlines from around the web.
For a taste of what to expect from our election coverage, check out this free preview from June 2018.
The Insiders Newsletter also includes succinct expert analysis and insights from a range of stories from across Africa each week. It costs as little as $8.33/month and helps fund African Arguments’ unique freely-accessible coverage.
Upcoming Africa elections: A list
Here are the upcoming elections in list form. The exact dates are liable to change. We recommend you read this piece: How African countries are dealing with elections during COVID-19 from 20 May 2020.
- 18: Guinea – President
- 22-24: Seychelles – President + Parliament
- 24-25: Egypt – Parliament
- 28: Tanzania – President + Parliament
- 31: Côte d’Ivoire – President + Parliament
- 7-8: Egypt – House of Representatives
- 22: Burkina Faso – President + Parliament
- 7: Ghana – President + Parliament
- 8: Liberia – Parliament + Referendum
- 27: Central African Republic – President + Parliament
- 27: Niger – President + Parliament
Beyond/unconfirmed [being updated]
- 2021: Somalia – Parliament
- 24 October 2021: Chad – Parliament